Sizing of electrical installation with solar production and storage
The sizing of all electrical installation equipment must be done considering all operating modes and the worst-case constraints.
- Cables and busbars are sized based on maximum load current,
- Transformers are sized based on maximum power flow,
- Protection devices are selected according to maximum load current, and minimum and maximum short-circuit currents.
When the photovoltaic production capacity is lower than the power demand
There is little or no impact on the electrical installation sizing:
- the current flow through cables and busbar does not increase when adding photovoltaic production,
- the transformer power flow is lower due to the contribution of the photovoltaic system.
When the photovoltaic production capacity exceeds the power demand
The impact on the electrical installation sizing must be considered, as current and power flows in the installation can be higher.
In new constructions, the higher power and current flow constraints are considered at the early design phase, and the installation can be sized accordingly.
However, for existing buildings, the following two tips are useful: