Lightning protection - Electrical installation protection system
From Electrical Installation Guide
The main objective of the electrical installation protection system is to limit overvoltages to values that are acceptable for the equipment.
The electrical installation protection system consists of:
- one or more SPDs depending on the building configuration;
- the equipotential bonding: metallic mesh of exposed conductive parts.
The procedure to protect the electrical and electronic systems of a building is as follows.
Search for information
- Identify all sensitive loads and their location in the building.
- Identify the electrical and electronic systems and their respective points of entry into the building.
- Check whether a lightning protection system is present on the building or in the vicinity.
- Become acquainted with the regulations applicable to the building's location.
- Assess the risk of lightning strike according to the geographic location, type of power supply, lightning strike density, etc.
- Install bonding conductors on frames by a mesh.
- Install a SPD in the LV incoming switchboard.
- Install an additional SPD in each subdistribution board located in the vicinity of sensitive equipment (see Fig. J16).