The UPSs and their environment
From Electrical Installation Guide
The UPSs can communicate with electrical and computing environment. They can receive some data and provide information on their operation in order:
- To optimize the protection
- For example, the UPS provides essential information on operating status to the computer system (load on inverter, load on static bypass, load on battery, low battery warning)
- To remotely control
- The UPS provides measurement and operating status information to inform and allow operators to take specific actions
- To manage the installation
- The operator has a building and energy management system which allow to obtain and save information from UPSs, to provide alarms and events and to take actions.
This evolution towards compatibilty between computer equipment and UPSs has the effect to incorporate new built-in UPS functions.