Different types of substation
From Electrical Installation Guide
Substations may be classified according to metering arrangements (MV or LV) and type of supply (overhead line or underground cable).
The substations may be installed:
- Either indoors in room specially built for the purpose, within a building, or
- An outdoor installation which could be :
- Installed in a dedicated enclosure prefabricated or not, with indoor equipment (switchgear and transformer)
- Ground mounted with outdoor equipment (switchgear and transformers)
- Pole mounted with dedicated outdoor equipment (swithgear and transformers)
Prefabricated substations provide a particularly simple, rapid and competitive choice.